Popeye, a 9-year-old mixed breed dog, had a ruff start as a stray puppy in Los Angeles. Now, the formerly homeless dog is a full-on dog influencer, best known on social media for dining at dog-friendly restaurants and checking into dog-friendly hotels, too.
Popeye’s superpower? His restraint for food.
“He just sits there and people watches,” says dog mom Ivy Diep, of the photos she snaps of Popeye in front of tables covered in a variety of typically slobber-worthy food options.
Together, they’ve gained hundreds of thousands of followers on social media, who love sharing in their Southern California foodie adventures. Ivy’s — and Popeye’s — favorite dog-friendly establishments have special pup perks: menus for the dogs, treats, water and toys, nearby parks and even dog-runs on the grounds.
Dog influencers are wagging
These dog-friendly restaurants and dog-friendly hotels offer special pet perks. Bone Appetite!
- Yelp reports the Morrison Atwater Village in Los Angeles is the number one dog-friendly restaurant in the country. Pups meander on shaded grassy areas, while choosing from three entre options served on a silver platter.
- Enjoy a cappuccino and a puppachino on the rooftop of the Thompson hotel in Washington, DC., while overlooking the city.
- At Rock & Brews, a national rock-inspired restaurant co-founded by Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons of KISS, the dog side of the moon menu offers three meaty options for fido.
- At Hotel Drover in Fort Worth, Texas, pups can expect a custom dog bed, water and food bowl, pet bandana, leather leash and a treat-filled goody bag.
Ivy’s tips for a pawsitively successful outing:
- Yelp and Google are the best resources for finding dog-friendly restaurants and reviews
- Come prepared with your own dog food, water bowl and treats
- Bring something that reminds your pup of home. At hotels, Ivy brings Popeye’s favorite blanket for sleeping
- Avoid misbehavior by socializing and training your dog before hitting the restaurant and hotel scene
- Comfort your dog if he feels overwhelmed out and about. Ivy travels with a pet carrier bag that’s cozy and comfortable for Popeye to hop into.